Sunday, February 9, 2014

It's the Little Things

Whenever I have a day where I'm struggling I tend to try and be positive by looking at the little things in life.  It can be anything from a sunrise to a smile from a passing friend or a hug from some random person.  There are times when I tend to shove those memories that aren't so pleasant in the back of my mind so as to maintain sanity.  That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, nor does it mean I'm not happy.  It's the opposite, in fact.  I'm very happy right now.  It's rare to see me walking around campus without a smile on my face or laughing with friends.  It's why I remember those little moments of light rays from Jesus.

I love the little events in life that occur such as helping out at VBS with the little kids.  Their faces are so adorable and innocent-looking even if they tend to get into mischief.  I was very glad this last summer that VBS was going on the week of my dad's death.  For one thing, the songs were forever stuck in my head that Thursday morning declaring "Stand strong" and "We will trust".  The one thought that was in my head that day was, despite all that had happened, I just have to be there for the kids tonight for the closing program.  I may have just lost my dad but I still want to go!  Looking back, I think I was both crazy and brave.  It was so worth it to have gone to that closing VBS program, not just because it helped me to keep going in life, but also because there is something healing and refreshing about being around the enthusiasm of little kids singing about God.

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I wake up to go to my Printmaking class.  I don't always want to get up out of my cozy and warm bed but when I do it's worth it.  It's worth it because walking to get breakfast at the cafeteria and then the walk to class has a gorgeous sunrise looking back at me from the sky.  Sometimes I just want to stand there looking at it.  Sometimes during the week I'm able to spend time doing homework in my friends rooms and those moments are precious to me even though they are spent doing homework.  They can be hilarious sometimes!  The weekends are also a cherished time because while some of the time I spend it on my own doing my own thing there are many times where I get to have adventures and spend time with friends such as just hanging out, watching movies, and occasionally playing games.  Over Christmas break I got to spend time with family such as at two family gatherings.  I also was able to spend time with my little brother (maybe not so much anymore) and spent time with my mom putting together a puzzle.

I'm truly blessed to be able to experience all of these precious moments in life.  These are the times when I feel at peace with the world and feel the love of God shining down on me.  There may be ups and downs from day to day and week to week but remembering the little things in life help us to remain positive and know that God is ultimately in control.  I mean, who else loves us enough to paint amazing sunrises and sunsets every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment