Monday, June 2, 2014

The Transition into Summer! And Away We Go!

Well, after several months and much thought, I've decided to write another blog, though I'm not sure that words will suffice for what I have to say.  A lot has happened in these last few months from a Spring Service Project trip to being in my first full play called "Faustus" to being about a month into summer.  It's been quite the ride!

There have been several times in the recent past where I've argued with myself over the decision of a major.  I know I've already chosen to do Graphic Design as my major, but I still wonder if there is a way I could somehow incorporate my love for theater into it as well.  I never really realized just how much I enjoy theater until I came to college.  In the past, my experience with it had been somewhat limited and I always had thought I hated doing speech, mainly because I would get super nervous whenever I got up to speak.  Then, this last year, I came to the realization that everyone is in the same boat and that theater and speech go hand in hand.  That changed my perspective on a lot of things.  I started getting involved in theater fall of my freshman year of college.  First it was RUSH (a student dance concert), and then it was my first One Act- "Abra Cadaver".  I also enjoyed going to all of the plays the college put on, always wondering if I would be in one someday.  Then, this year, I again went out and did RUSH and another One Act in the fall, but then I also did another one this last spring, as well as a student initiated play called "Faustus" and then participated in "Drop Dead", which is essentially putting together a one act in 24 hours.  I guess my point is I really enjoy doing things in the theater department and I'm not so sure anymore whether Graphic Design is really for me.  The main reason I had wanted to do it in the past was to be able to work for video game companies I like to play or to design t-shirts, but now I kinda want to go oversees as a missionary and do other things as well like theater ministry because that was a big impact on my decision to follow Christ after seeing a mime at a camp I went to in the past.  So there's that.

I'd thought about writing about my experiences on the SSP I went on this past spring, but then changed my mind because while it made a big impact, I don't feel the need to tell all the world about it.  Instead, I decided to say more of what the ending of the school year and the beginning of the summer have been like for me and if anyone was interested in knowing they could just ask me about the SSP.  =)  I wish I could tell you it's all butterflies and rainbows, but I can't.  It's been a tough transition for me from college life back to summer life at home.  I'm both sad and happy that several of my friends have graduated from college this year- happy for their successes and sad because it means they won't be there in the fall.  Another challenge has been to watch another significant chunk of friends go overseas to do varies things such as study abroad or mission work or some other reason such as being camp counselors.  That leaves me with not a lot of choices of people to talk to from college, at least at the moment.  Another factor has been that not many college-aged people are in my town or surrounding area for the summer.  Those who are in the area are difficult to hang out with.  My best friend from high school is still around but my biggest challenge with her is finding things to talk about that aren't fantasy based.  I want to tell her about all the experiences I've had at college but she won't let me because she says she feels left out.  But then she goes on to talk about all her life's problems and I don't know what to say... Anyway, I've been finding several things to do to occupy myself such as a job, reading, watching episodes, filling out a sketchbook, coming up with ideas for a story I want to write, making costumes, video games, etc.  Since coming home for the summer I've reverted to "hermit mode" simply because I need time and space to myself, especially when my brother starts to really drive me up the wall going crazy.  And then it's hard to explain various things to my mom (I love you!)... It's frustrating, but I'll get through it one way or another.  However, nothing can kill my spirit or my joy or wipe the smile completely off my face!  =]

One more thought- one week from this Thursday/Friday will mark the one year anniversary of my dad's death... and will mark the third year running of my participating as a helper in the local VBS program.  We will see how that goes!

Oh- the thunderstorms with the possibility of tornadoes today was a welcome excitement.  I love stormy weather this time of year even though the thought of what could happen kind of terrifies me!

No comments:

Post a Comment